Hello, and welcome to VDSD 2014: everything you want/need/desire to know about the 10th Annual Sarah Zero Valentine’s Day Sex Drive.
Have a webomic? Like drawing your characters nude? Like sexy, naked art? Read on.
Above is a little tease of last year's VDSD participants, part 1: Tom Szewc - Alone in a Crowd; Mike Delheim - Prepare to Die; Nate Hammond - Jazz and Jess; Chella Morgan - TDUGN; Nick Gonzo - Execution Day; John Peters - Ardra; Mike Aston and Shaun Nicholls - Lacey Investigations; Juno Blair B. - Star Cross’d Destiny; Maxwell Vex - Agents of the Endtimes; J. Mackenzie Graham - Mozhaets; Nocturne City - Strange Aeons; Adam Black - Silk & Honey, Locus and Kiss 4K and Brion Foulke - Flipside; J. E. Flint and Eric Flint - The Chronicles of Loth; TK Doherty - Nikki Sprite; Sean Harrington - Spying With Lana; Rev. Vas Littlecrow Wojtanowicz - Rasputin Barxotka; Jack Cayless - Chimneyspeak and Samuel Isaac Dealey - Woohooligan!
Above is a little tease of last year's VDSD participants, part 2: Davy Shirley - Fera; Jeremy Begin - After the Dream; Foust - Steel Siren; Doug Jacobs - Sister of Infinite Mercy; Jack Munroe - Ada Lee Comes On!; John Kratky, Tobias Gebhardt and Stephen Yan - Tales of Hammerfist; Owen MacRae - Beep Club; Niauropsaka - Raspberry Rain; Stef Marcinkowski - Sarah Zero; Lee Nathan - Instructapals and Jerry McMasters - Webcomic Pete.
Above is a little tease of last year's VDSD participants, part 3: Amy Letts - Epic Fail; Emy Bitner - Trying Human; Hushicho - Incubus Tales; Lou Graziani - CyBoar; Melissa Stone - Children of the Tiger; Hiro Odan - Bridge University; ellejohara - Threads from the Blue Rock Tapestry; Uncle Greedy - Steampunk Gorgon; Peter Anckorn - By The Book; Cihan Sesen - Spine; Liz Staley - Adrastus; Mark Egan - Back Office and Bata Neart; Phil and Max - Indifferently Evil; Elizabeth and Lisa - The Code Crimson; Yellowgerbil - Zoe the Vampire; Dave Barrack - Grrl Power; Miluette - Lovefeast and Byron Wilkins - 1977 the Comic.
As you can see, 49 webcomics participated in last year's VDSD, and many are confirming they're coming back for 2014. Also, expect to see many new creators jump onboard, as the VDSD outreach kicks into overdrive. Things are certainly heating up like a sauna, and you don't want to miss being a part of this megahot crosspromotional event.
Here's the official, most up-to-date VDSD 2014 lineup:
CONFIRMED VDSD 2014 PARTICIPANTS (entries closed for 2014)
41) Spaces - Holy Bibble
40) Rinkelle - Xenobiosis
39) Byron Wilkins - 1977 The Comic
37) Adam Black - Silk & Honey, Locus and Kiss 4K
36) Rick - HeadWound
35) The D-Wrek - Twenty Four Seven
34) Notos - Buying Time
33) Jerry McMasters - Webcomic Pete
32) John Kratky, Tobias Gebhardt and Stephen Yan - Tales of Hammerfist
31) Officer M - The Soul of a Hero
30) R(ed) - Meiosis
29) Liz Staley - Adrastus
28) Brion Foulke - Flipside
27) Peter Anckorn - By The Book
26) Mike Aston and Shaun Nicholls - Lacey Investigations
25) Amy Letts - Epic Fail
24) Jeremy Begin - After the Dream
23) Dave Barrack - Grrl Power
22) TK Doherty - Nikki Sprite
21) Phil and Max - Indifferently Evil
20) Niauropsaka - Raspberry Rain
19) Davy Shirley - Fera
16) Melissa Stone - Children of the Tiger
15) Juno Blair B. - Star Cross'd Destiny
14) Sean Harrington - Spying With Lana
13) Hiro Odan - Bridge University
12) Hushicho - Incubus Tales
11) Doug Jacobs - Impure Comics
10) Chella Morgan - TDUGN
09) J. E. Flint and E. Flint - The Chronicles of Loth
08) Cihan Şeşen - SPINE
07) Foust - Trendkill Comics
06) J. Mackenzie Graham - Mozhaets
05) Yellowgerbil - Zoe the Vampire
02) Lou Graziani - Cy-Boar
01) Stef Marcinkowski - Sarah Zero
Wow, that sure is a lot of awesome people. "How can I get involved?", you ask. It's super fast and easy to get involved. Just contact me with the quick and painless registration form at the bottom of this page.
But first, there's just a few simple, easy rules to keep in mind before creating your sexy art.
1) You have a webcomic of your own or are involved in the creation of a webcomic
2) Draw one (or more) of your comic's characters nude
3) Post the image to your website on Valentine’s Day. Your image may be a vote incentive, hidden behind a NSFW button or be proudly displayed on your site’s main page. It’s totally up to you.
4a) Link to all other VDSD participants on your site’s main page/blog, etc. Shortly after the deadline of February 11, 2014, you'll be emailed the HTML/CSS code, which will list all the participants, comic names and URL links. You should be able to simply drop this into your site. However, you're more than free to code and format manually if you wish.
4b) To participate in the VDSD, you must be comfortable with sharing links to some highly-NSFW content. If you do a wholesome webcomic and/or don't want to risk offending your audience, then the VDSD is prolly not for you. For those of you fired up to join this party, the most up-to-date list of all confirmed VDSD participants is listed above, and will be updated regularly until...
There are two deadlines: one for registration, and another for completing your image.
1) REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 (72 hours before Valentine’s Day). This is to ensure all VDSD participants have enough lead time to prepare and update their sites with the most up-to-date list of participants.
2) IMAGE COMPLETION DEADLINE: Friday, February 14, 2014
Well, that’s nice, but what exactly is this VDSD thing?
Way back in 2005, I came up with a crazy idea to draw a topless Sarah Zero pic and post it as a vote incentive on Valentine’s Day. It was very well received, and so the following year, a few webcomic friends got involved, and things snowballed from there. A few years later, sadly, I lost the passion for expanding the VDSD and ended up going solo until 2011, when I totally forgot to create a pic until the night before! After spitting out a sloppy, horrible excuse for pinup art, I stated that I was going to let the VDSD die. Mere hours after this announcement, a SZ superfan reignited my passion by singlehandedly recruiting some truly stellar talent for 2012. He inspired me to resurrect the VDSD and return it to its former glory. 2012 was the most successful VDSD ever, and 2013 more than tripled that success.
With a renewed confidence, the VDSD is poised to become even bigger. And with your help, 2014 promises to obliterate last year's awesomeness.
But I suppose by now, you have a few questions. Alrighty then. Let’s get to the biggies.
1. Do we really have to draw naked? Yes and no. In keeping with the spirit of the VDSD, it’s important to deliver what the fans want, but many participants continue to create unexpected, clever and hilarious interpretations of what nude means to them. If you really don't want to show any naughty bits, you could always creatively cover them up, kinda like that scene in Austin Powers, ha ha. Be true to yourself and your brand, and especially your audience. Have fun!
2. Can we draw pop culture characters? No, sorry. We don’t want anyone to get in trouble with any 3rd parties over characters you do not own.
3. Is this a contest? Are there any prizes? No and no. This is just for fun, for community and for making new friends. You’ll meet new creators, hear from new fans of your work, discover new webcomics and introduce your readership to a whole new world of good times.
4. Does this have to be female only? Hell no! Nearly 50% of the VDSD goodness includes male action.
5. My comic is on hiatus/brand new/not updating regularly. Can I still join? Most certainly, YES! We all know the challenges of fitting comics into daily life, and your fans understand this better than anyone.
6. Is there any art review/approval process? Nope. Just make something awesome and reveal it to the world on Valentine's Day.
7. How tame/raunchy does this have to be? Whatever you’re comfortable with. Pics have ranged from cheesecake pinup style to full-on DINO-PENIS, and everything inbetween.
“Let me see! Let me see!” you’re prolly saying to yourself right now. Just what kind of pics have people made for past VDSDs? Well, let’s take a quick look.
PICS OF VDSD PAST
Above is a little tease of 2012's VDSD participants: Darkharry - Endless City; J. Mackenzie Graham - Mozhaets; Eric Drobile - Hatefarm; Nick Gonzo - Execution Day; Stef Marcinkowski - Sarah Zero; Mike Delheim - Prepare to Die; Leslie Ortego and Brad Brown - Blaster Nation; Raven Perez - Raven's Dojo; Chella Morgan - TDUGN; Mike Aston and Shaun Nicholls - Lacey Investigations; Jack Cayless - Chimneyspeak; John Peters - Ardra; Nate Hammond - Jazz and Jess; Jimmy Misanthrope - Agents of the Endtimes; Amy Letts - Epic Fail and Tom Szewc - Alone in a Crowd.
2005 - 2011: Many fantastic, clever, funny and sexy VDSD entries have been created, and I do apologize that I didn’t think to archive the pics of everyone who participated in those early years. Here’s a little tease of the pics I still have on file. Enjoy!
Above, left to right: Josh Entner - Bloody Fingers; Juno - Star Cross'd Destiny and Phil & Max - Indifferently Evil
Above, left to right: Frapazoid - Zenmaster (website currently offline); Bev - Chooken and Bev - Chooken
And there you have it. Thank you so much for your time.
If you have a webcomic, get involved and sign up below. And if you’d like to see your fave webcomics get a piece of the action, be sure to drop ‘em a line and send them to this page. Lastly, if you have any questions or comments, tweet or email me, I'll be happy to get back to you ASAP.
Thanks everyone, and Happy Valentine's Day!